We are the only English church to be dedicated to St Eata but there is very little known about this saint.
Eata was a gentle man and greatly revered. In 635 he was amongst Saint Aidan's first disciples at Lindisfarne. In 651 after Aidan's death he became Abbot of Melrose. In 664 he was appointed Abbot of Lindisfarne after the Synod of Whitby decided that the local Northumbrian Church, English and Irish Celtic, would adopt the traditions of the universal Church and practice the Roman Rite, including the calculation for keeping Easter.
In 678 at York, Eata was consecrated Bishop of Bernicia, northern Northumbria, by Theodore of Canterbury. Eata served at Lindisfarne, but when Cuthbert was later nominated Bishop of Hexham, but wished to remain in Lindisfarne, Eata filled his place at Hexham.
Eata is one of many English saints who were canonised without suffering martyrdom. Eata died on 26 October 686 of dysentery, and was buried to the south of St Wilfrid's church at Hexham before being moved inside in the 11th Century. His life was dedicated to the saving souls and to the Romanizing and Benedictinizing of his See. His Saint's day is celebrated on 26th October.
There is some further information in Documents and at
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eata_of_Hexham
The Church
St Eata's is a church with a fascinating history.
The first church to St Eata is said to have been built in the eighth century but there is now little trace of this. A church was present on this site by 1075. The oldest part of the present church is in the nave and dates from the late Saxon or the early Norman era. The tower is probably from the 12th century, and the chancel from the late 13th century. The south porch is dated 1665.
The church was restored in the late 19th century.
The church is open every day during daylight hours and is well worth a visit.
See below, and in Documents, for more details on the interior of the church.
The exterior of our organ is a minature model of the great Organ in the Temple in London, unfortunately lost in World War II bombing; it is exceedingly handsome with its gilt diapered frontal pipes.
The Chancel Screen comes from Worfield Church near Bridgnorth. It was erected by The Rev'd Henry Burton in 1866. He found it in use as panelling in a dining room in Shrewsbury and purchased it to re-erect it in a suitable place. It is probably "Georgian Gothic" possibly with cherubs by Grinling Gibbons.
The Presence Light in the Sanctuary was a gift from Lady Berwick on Easter Day in 1956.
The Font, used for baptizing, was until 1946 in the base of the tower. The initials that appear on it seem to be those of past Churchwardens John Chapman of Chilton and William Patteshall of Emstrey who were significant members of the Atcham community.